Monday 15 August 2011

I love melons!

IMHO, there is nothing better on a hot, summer day than a piece of cold, juicy watermelon. Think about having a picnic/BBQ outdoors and what else comes to mind for picnic fruits than watermelon! Melons, in general, are underrated. They get a bad rap (see below).


But I love melons, in particular cantaloupe and watermelon. As a kid, I hated cantaloupe. My Mother, who was/is obsessed with fruits of all kind, would force my brother and I to eat it. I always found the flavour gross, the texture unappealing.

However, in the past few years, my taste buds have matured and I've come to love cantaloupe. To me, it's the most "cake-like" of fruits; the texture is more substantial then say, a strawberry and less crunchy than an apple but it's soft-ish and has a mild flavour. It doesn't make my mouth pucker like a tart berry or get stuck in between my teeth like the skin of an apple. It's like the vanilla cake equivalent in the fruit world. Great on its own or pair with something else more flavourful for a kick (like coconut or booze in a fruit salad or cheese and prosciutto like at Vertical in Matt's post below).

I also find it very filling, so a cup of diced cantaloupe will keep me full much longer than a cup of raspberries or a bunch of kiwi for example.

Watermelon has always been a favourite. I have fond memories of being a kid, sitting on the front step of our house, playing "Trouble" with my cousins and eating slices of watermelon. It's synonymous with summer and it is certainly best served super chilled.

Granted, you have to eat melons when they're perfectly ripe. Overripe melons can have an awful texture and taste grainy which is not good for anyone but that's true of any fruit, am I right?

Mind you, there is a hierarchy in the melon world and it goes something like this: watermelon, cantaloupe, everything else. Honeydew is gross; at least that's something Matt and I can agree on.

No comments:

Post a Comment