Tuesday 9 August 2011

I can't stand: melon, honeydew, etc.


My fruit salad nightmare at a well-known breakfast chain

Mostly-eaten prosciutto, melon and mint from Vertical
I know I'll probably offend a few people saying this, but, with few exceptions, I dislike most melons, cantaloupes, honeydew and related fruit. It's probably because I have a general aversion to bland, flavourless and excessively watery fruits (fruit, in the culinary sense), something I feel these fruits are prone to be. I much prefer fruits that have some bite, some pucker, some flavour. One of my greatest fears when I order fruit salad is that it will be 90%+ melons, honeydew and watermelon.

One of the exceptions I make are for melon and prosciutto combinations. I particularly like the thinly-shaved melon with prosciutto and mint from Vertical Restaurant (see above).

The other exception I have made occurred when I was in the south of Spain. Honestly, I don't understand why they're so much tastier there, but they just were. In my limited experience, cantaloupes in Spain were a deep and appealing orange colour, pleasantly sweet, a bit tart and overall very flavourful and delicious. I have yet to find anything like these back home. If there's anyone out there who's found ones like this, in the Toronto area, please tell me where.

No comments:

Post a Comment